Literacy Action, Inc.

In 2013 Literacy Action provided over 100 classes and served close to 600 adult learners seeking to improve their literacy skills. In March 2014 the organization added seven new classrooms to our downtown Atlanta location bringing our total to 13 on site. This will allow us to serve up to 800 students over the course of a year. In addition to our expanding location at 100 Edgewood Avenue in the Robert Woodruff Volunteer Center, owned by the United Way of Greater Atlanta, we have two satellite locations– the Kroc Corps Community Center in Southwest Atlanta and the Woodward Academy in College Park. Literacy Action receives students through various methods of referral and partnerships.  We are fortunate enough that those methods provide more students than can be accommodated in our facility.  Aside from word-of-mouth, we are partners with the Atlanta Housing Authority and Fulton County Office of Workforce Development.  Those partnerships make daily referrals to our organization either as part of a mandate or suggestion.  There are no fees for students. 80% of our programs are supported through philanthropy. The remaining 20% comes in the form of three government grants, (1) Fulton County, (2) Technical College System of Georgia, (3) Atlanta Housing Authority.

Go to the Literacy Action, Inc. website

Arts

Beautification & Preservation

Bettering Lives

Education

Health